Friday, September 15, 2006

"While You're At It, Blow Her a Kiss, Too!"

Ann Richards, the former governor of Texas, died Wednesday at the age of 73.

Just last week I watched the "Hank and the Great Glass Elevator" episode of King of the Hill (one of the shows that's on every afternoon at Paper Heroes), where Hank Hill moons Ann Richards (who provided her own voice for the episode) from a glass elevator at a hotel where she's giving a speech.

Through some course of events that I must have missed while helping a customer, Richards starts dating Hank's neighbor Bill Dauterive, until Bill's ex-wife Lenore (voiced by Ellen Barkin) crawls out from under a rock to destroy his happiness. Still, Bill and Ann part as friends, and their time together gives Bill's self-esteem a much-needed boost.

So of course when I heard the news of her passing, I felt sad for Bill -- who's not only a fictional character, but an animated one at that. I'll let you draw your own conclusions about what that says about me.

No comments: